Information is the lifeblood of advocacy
AAA takes its mission seriously to educate and inform partners, clients, policy makers and the community at large regarding issues of interest and concern for older adults.
Kansas Silver Haired Legislature–Jayhawk Area Agency on Aging has 8 delegates to the Silver Haired Legislature, a unicameral legislature composed of representatives age 60 or older that are elected from their county of residence. The Silver Haired Legislature develops bills and resolutions which are presented to the Kansas Legislature and the Governor as recommendations for state policy concerning older adults in the community.
JAAA Independence Day Visits
JAAA actively seeks to engage and inform local, state and federal policy makers as well as advocates for the Agency’s service area. Its Independence Day program couples officials with case managers on home visits for firsthand experience of the struggle of seniors to remain independent.
- Advocacy Alerts on Legislation
- Regular Correspondence with Kansas Congressional Delegation
- Presentation before the state legislative delegations for Shawnee, Jefferson and Douglas Counties
- Participation in Older Kansans Day at the Capital in February of each year
- JAAA Independence Day visits with policy makers
- Assisting the Silver Haired Legislators for Shawnee, Jefferson and Douglas Counties
the Gray Panthers
Get Involved to Effect Change in Your Community!
Become a Silver Haired Legislator by calling JAAA
Contact your representatives:
Kansas Area Agencies on Aging website for legislative alerts: www.k4A.org
Find out more about the Shawnee County Advocacy Council and the Douglas County Advocacy Council:
Call JAAA at 785-235-1367 or 1-800-798-2799