Senior Health Insurance Counseling for Kansas (SHICK) is a program offering Medicare Beneficiaries an opportunity to talk with trained counselors to get answers to questions about Medicare and other insurance issues. SHICK provides you with many resources that will help you with your struggle through the Medicare maze.
Our counselors at SHICK know their stuff! The role of the counselor is to help people stay informed on changing conditions in health care insurance and to cut through the confusion. Our counselors receive intense initial and annual training on Medicare, Medicare Supplement Insurance, Long-Term Care and other health insurance subjects that concern Medicare Beneficiaries. The goal is to educate and assist the public to make informed decisions on what’s best for them. Our counselors do not work for any insurance company.
Confidential Counseling: An opportunity to speak with real people, not telephone machines SHICK counseling is unbiased, confidential, and available to anyone with questions about Medicare. Trained counselors are available to assist with:
- Medicare questions
- Medicare claims and appeals
- Medicare fraud
- Medicare Prescription Drug Plans
- Medicare Advantage Plans
- Medicare Supplement Insurance
- Other health insurance options
- Medicare Savings Programs
- Extra Help with prescription drugs
There are several things that our counselors are NOT and it is important for Medicare Beneficiaries to understand
- They DO NOT offer advice, or any information that could be construed as legal advice
- They ARE NOT affiliated with the insurance industry
- They ARE NOT a financial planner
- They DO NOT sell, recommend. or endorse any specific insurance product, agent, insurance company or health maintenance organization.
- They ARE NOT going to make any decisions for the beneficiary.
- They WILL show the beneficiaries their options, so that the beneficiary may make an informed decision
Jayhawk Area Agency on Aging is always looking for volunteers for the SHICK Program. Click here to see how you can volunteer!
What is Medicare?
Medicare is a federal health insurance program that covers:
- Individuals age 65 and older
- Individuals under 65 with disabilities
- Individuals with ESRD (End Stage Renal Disease)
Many people have a desire to continue working beyond their 65th birthday, Medicare DOES coordinate with employment, but it is essential to understand the rules
Individuals that are not 65 years of age and are disabled may be able to receive Medicare benefits due to disability status.
What is Medicare Part D?
Medicare Prescription Drug Coverage (Part D) is insurance that covers both generic and brand name prescriptions. Coverage is provided through private companies and there are many types of plans are available
Medicare Savings Programs– In varying degrees the Medicare Savings Program can help pay the Medicare premiums, deductibles and co-payments for eligible individuals. A SHICK counselor can screen for eligibility for these programs and assist you with completing and submitting the necessary applications. Click here for more information.
Are you on a limited income? Are you having trouble paying for your medication? Extra help is available if:
- You have income less than 150% of the Federal Poverty level
- Limited resources – resources include such things as bank accounts, stocks, and bonds. Your home, car, and any life insurance policy do not count as resources.
- If you qualify for extra help:
- Medicare will pay for 75% or more of your prescription drug costs
- You will automatically receive help paying premiums, deductibles, co-pays of your Medicare Prescription Drug Coverage
- There is no coverage gap